Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Step Right Up, Win A C*** Doll!

It's been a while, again and obviously. This is largely due to the large-scale disruption at my university. Classes have all but stopped, and there is much, MUCH confusion. For my part, it has to do with the union and the ongoing question of my membership.

When we were instructed to vote on the strike mandate, I dutifully went to the polling booth. I was not on the list, but assured by a union rep that my grad student ID was valid, given a ballot, and cast my vote. Weeks later, at a general membership meeting, I was still not on the voting list. A union rep examined my ID and my paystub and assured me that I was a union member. Again I was allowed into a meeting and voted.

I picketed. Not only that, but I stepped up as the picket captain for my department (yeah, the only volunteer and I'd only been there for two months at the time). I did strike duties for 3+ weeks. My stike pay never came... I called to inquire...

Apparently, I'm not a member.

Now, understand, when there was originally the problem with my name not being on the list, the union told me that the only way they know if I'm a member or not is if the administration tells them so. I talk to the admin... oh, yeah, you're a member.

I call payroll yesterday, I'm not a member.

I call the union today, I am not a member.

I get an email from the union today, I am not a member.

Member or not... I'm inconvienienced greatly... very frustrated... and upset that I may have been walking around with a picket sign and getting up for a 7am shift or earlier.

Welcome to grad school, Psyche.

Sigh... I will accept your pity now. Especially if it comes in the form of taking me out for a coffee etc...

Psyche.

1 comment:

LizB said...

i'm really sorry sweety.

i wish that you hadn't had to go through that. I guess that this is good old bureaucracy at work?

"hey, you can do all our dirty work for us...but let's all drag our feet when it comes to helping you."

*hugs*