Sunday, January 25, 2009

Back To Blurk Blegislation

Back to work legislation looms over us this weekend and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I wonder this afternoon, sitting at blurk at the org... back at work after a week's worth of flu. The Legislature is meeting today... I assume that the NDP will fight it, not wanting to set a dangerous precident for employers to just ignore unions and the bargaining process.

But I also just want to go back to school -- omg... this lethargy has seeped into my muscles and bones and I fear wht little discipline I had has been sweat out in nervousness, anticipation and flu-fever. I want my schedule back. I want to sit and discuss things with like-minded intellectuals. I want to WORK.

Oh, I also want to get paid.

So, as I sit at the brink, I'm not sure how to feel. I guess I'll just keep checking the message boards and news and wait for the various powers-that-be to sort it out. I guess what I dislike most about all of this is not having ANY power to affect it. The waiting is the hardest part.

I have been making better use of my time this week. Yes, the week that I was most sick! I've finished the first edit of my "Biology of Psychopathy" paper, I've completed the preliminary draft of my biology take-home test, and I've made considerable headway on the environmental scan. Oh, and I got to do a peer-review for a journal. That was trippy. I don't believe that as a first year Masters student that I am a "peer" of an established research professor. But due to the amount of times this author referenced themselves, that's what I assume the author of the paper I reviewed is. How do you tell the Emporer about their "new clothes?" Ungh... an exercise in tact to comment that while the paper is excellently written and the analyses flawless, that I just don't think that this article will be of great interest to your readers... Thank goodness the peer-review process is confidential.

Yikes! And who knows how brutal they'll be with MY modest little paper?

Blurk, blesearch and blickness... stay tuned for more.

No comments: