Sunday, August 17, 2008

Time Keeps On Slippin...

Hello blogsketeers! Guess what? This is my first day on my new shift. That means I no longer work full time for the org! And guess what else? It's delightful!

My last day was uneventful. There was no supervisor around but there was still a very plain, only slightly playful feel to the shift. Walking out at the end of the day was definitely anti-climactic. However, I was off to meet a few co-workers for a celebratory drink or two, so I was in good spirits. Especially since I was meeting two workers that I don't often get a chance to hang out with. It was really interesting, because I have definitely been closed here at work for almost two years. Circumstances were such that I just didn't have the emotional resiliance to face any possible confrontations or rejection in that place. So I played things very close to the chest. As a result, I was not at all close with anyone on my shift. No where near the way I was when working nights and felt like my team-mates were my best friends at overnight camp.

And then, there we were, enjoying martinis and chatting quite informally. People opened up a bit, I did too. The next thing I knew we were having a very sincere and heartfelt discussion around relationships with our parents, self-confidence, and the quality of our sex lives. This wasn't the sort of snappy light sex and the city banter. I felt very honoured to be let in on some personal details about some incredible women with whom I've shared the counselling floor. And I was delighted to feel like I was also being accepted, with all my outrageous quirks and stuffy opinions.

It felt...

Well, it felt like what I had been longing for work to feel like for over two years. It felt good. It felt safe and fun. I felt like I belonged. And that's something I hadn't felt at the org for a VERY long time, if ever.

It was nice. I forgot it could be like that. It was a very nice way to end my full time stay there.

And today is day one of my part time life at the org. A 6 hour shift is nothing. Pah! I'm just wondering how things will continue to change for me here, and hoping that the happiness I feel, the lighter feeling of things-are-okay will continue, as I look forward to a 7 year goal that I have chosen. Yeah, I'm feeling tired, but optimistic.

And looking forward to shameless lethargy for the coming week. Any more suggestions on how to recharge are welcome welcome welcome. Bring em on!

1 comment:

LizB said...

It's nice though that you have learned that there are nice people there that you can go to, and lean on in the few shifts you'll have.

and I hear that "hanging with da nizz" is an excellent way to recharge your batteries with no loss of consciousness, or pudding!